I’ve written a post like this before, but I’m going to ‘top it up’ now. Most of my friends haven’t had babies yet and keep saying ‘remember to tell me that when I have a baby’ when I figure out something the hard way. So here’s a few things worth remembering Jen, Petria, Rochelle and maybe even Nadia 🙂
1. Huggies nappies leak, they might not on your babies but they do on Lily so I only use Pampers, they’re cheapest from Dischem
2. Pigeon breast pads and wet wipes are the best
3. In the first few weeks of breastfeeding feed as long as baby wants to and as often as she wants to. Maybe that means its an hour or more at a time. Your nipples will be sore and you’ll cry but suck it up, its worth it in the end.
4. After a natural birth the nurse shoves a suppository up your bum (without warning or consent in my case). Be prepared. Next time I’ll ask them not to, but its a pain killer for afterpains so you might want it.
5. Use a dummy. Seriously just use it.
6. When buying a pram consider your boot+grocery shopping. Also make sure it has a ‘mom tray’ on the top handle bars and that a baby bottle can actually fit in the bottle holder.
7. Buy a see me baby, baby wrap. It is a miracle wrap.
8. Also get a bouncy chair, ours cost R300, and Lily used it every day for the first few months. She absolutely loved it.
9. Let baby spend time on the floor, they won’t like tummy time to start off with but once they figure out how to roll they’ll love it!
10. Sudacream for nappy rash, sore nipples and any other skin stuff.
11. Drink your jungle juice mix!
12. Get daddy to bath baby if possible, it gives you 5 mins to lie on the bed and read your Time line or stare into space alone. Also gives dad and baby some bonding time. They need something they can do together alone.
13. Brown sugar really does work for constipation.
14. Avo and banana mixed is a winner! (Thanks @momallot)
15. Purity veg tastes gross, but the fruit is yum. Make your own and freeze it in purity jars or ice cube trays. Biltong, rice cakes and marie biscuits also go down so well!
I hope you guys decide to have babies soon, Lily needs some friends!