Yesterday I received the save the date for friends of ours who will be getting married early next year. I take full credit for them ‘sealing the deal’ by the way. (We were out, I had had to many tequilas, he was trying to make her jealous-and she was. I told her to claim what was hers’, and go up to him and kiss him. Luckily SHE had had one to many too, and she did it. The rests, as they say, is history).
Anyway, this made me nostalgic about my own wedding so I thought I would show you all some pics. It was the 8th November 2008. The venue was Plumari Africa in Magaliesburg, its a private game reserve and the venue and accomodation is set around the water hole. It is gorgeous! We has visions of cocktails after the ceremony, listening to the saxaphone player and watching the sun go down over the water hole. It would be perfect…
Whats that they say about the best laid plans???
The rain poured, the thunder crashed and the lightning struck everything in sight. It was insane! The dj was late, there was one whole table missing and the poor wedding planner was in a spin! Me? I was sitting in the room, drinking champagne, chatting to my friends and having a ball. Delegation! Cannot stress it enough. I was totally unfazed by it all because I knew it would get sorted out in the end, and I knew that throwing a tantrum about the weather wouldnt help anyone.
I had to walk to the chapel under a beach umbrella, with my dress hiked up. Very elegant. Mind you thats not something I’m used to being called anyway, so it wasnt a big shock!
I messed up my vows, giggled throughout and put Shauns ring on the wrong hand.
It was perfect.
I married my soul mate in an informal, beautiful ceremony. Surrounded by laughter, love and friendship.
We danced the night away, then snuck away to sit in the bath and eat cheesecake and open presents, what a wonderful day!
The following morning we had breakfast with the bridal party and family and left for three days in BelaBela followed by 10 days in Bali. It was an amazing holiday!
My stress free wedding tips:
1. Delegate! Choose your bridal party well and trust them. My mom did the invites, my mom in law did the flowers. my bridesmaids sorted out seating and followed me around ensuring my make up and hair was still picture perfect. I worked hard up to the wedding day but on the day I could relax
2. Choose a scent for both of you. A new one that you’ve never worn before and wear it on the day and take it on honeymoon as well. It’s amazing that four years on and i still get butterflies in my tummy when Shaun wears his.
3. Have an open bar or at least partly open. It makes the party much more relaxed!
4. Wear flat shoes or at least have a spare pair close by
5. Don’t sweat the small stuff-and it’s all small stuff!